Acupuncture is a treatment technique that uses very fine needles, placed into specific sites in the body, to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and promote the body’s natural healing responses. Acupuncture is a safe, effective and pain-free therapy, and is one of the most researched treatment methods available today.
By stimulating specific sites in the body, we are able to modulate the function of the nervous system which controls all of the systems in the body, such as the cardiovascular, respiratory, immune, and muscular systems. Acupuncture can provide pain relief, improved blood flow, reduced inflammation, reduced stress, improved range of motion, improved nerve function, and improved organ function. At Definitive Chiropractic and Wellness Centre, we only use pre-packaged, sterile needles which are discarded after a single use.
Acupuncture has been used to treat heath conditions for thousands of years and is traditionally based on a series of meridians mapped across the body. Energy (Qi) flows smoothly through these energy channels, or meridians. When they become blocked or interfered with, illness or disease occurs. By stimulating these meridians with acupuncture needles, the interference is removed to allow the Qi to flow again.
Licenced health professionals who have completed the required training and who have acupuncture within their scope of practice are allowed to practice acupuncture in Ontario. All the chiropractors at Definitive Chiropractic have intensive training in anatomy, neurology and physiology and have completed Acupuncture Courses at McMaster University and Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College.
Conditions Commonly Treated with Acupuncture
- Sports related injuries
- Musculoskeletal pain problems: neck pain, shoulder pain, low back pain, and headaches
- Chronic pain problems: sciatica, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and facial pain
- Digestive disorders: irritable bowel, constipation, diarrhoea and gastritis
- Menstrual and reproductive problems: dysmenorrhea, perimenopausal symptoms and infertility
- Urinary tract disorders: prostatitis and bladder dysfunction
- Respiratory problems: sinusitis, asthma, sore throat and recurrent respiratory tract infections
- Stress related problems